Portscout stuff

Shaun Amott shaun at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 22 16:40:07 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I have been working on a new portscout release, and using miwi's server
for debugging, so a) updates aren't being sent out as frequently as
usual, and b) I'm resetting the old data each time, meaning you will
probably get multiple notices for each new version found.

So sorry for any annoyance caused.

The new release is a huge step forward, fixing many bugs, and vastly
improving the version detection and comparison algorithms. Also, you may
have noticed that the new SourceForge mirror layout is now supported. In
fact, despite requiring some extra hooping-jumping, accuracy should be
improved somewhat for SourceForge-hosted ports.

In addition, there are many goodies for users of portscout itself,
including support for SQLite (at last), support for "building" without
CVSup logs or even an INDEX file, and possible support (with a little
work) for repos other than FreeBSD ports; feeding portscout with a
simple XML file is now possible too.

There are also a few new features destined for the /next/ release,
including RSS feeds.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a quick
refresher:

Portscout is a tool/service that looks for new distfile versions. We
have an installation, provided by Martin Wilke (miwi) which runs daily
and both publishes HTML reports and sends out incremental summaries via
e-mail:

http://portscout.org/

The page for ports@ is a particularly good place to look if you want to
help out but don't know where to start. Plenty of easy ports to upgrade.
Once you've found one, check out the Porter's Handbook for details on
how to go about upgrading the port and submitting a PR:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

If you want to sign up for e-mail reminders for ports you maintain, talk
to Martin or to me.

Shaun

--
Shaun Amott // PGP: 0x6B387A9A