preferred place for system-wide config files

Anonymous swell.k at gmail.com
Wed May 19 17:56:42 UTC 2010

Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> writes:

> On 19/05/2010 24:18:13, Anonymous wrote:
>> This doesn't concern only portmaster. As I've mentioned previously
>> xorg-server, subversion and git don't install any config file (not even
>> in share/examples) but still look for it inside PREFIX not LOCALBASE.
>> In other words almost any GNU_CONFIGURE port that doesn't install config
>> files. I've yet to see someone modify SYSCONFDIR for such ports.
>
> Err... xorg-server looks in about half a dozen different likely places
> for a config file.  Traditionally I've put it in /etc/X11 (which is
> wrong according to ports rules, but it works).  You could put it in
> /usr/local/etc/X11 or /usr/local/lib/X11/ to be more hier(7) compliant,
> and it would work there too.

However, it doesn't look under LOCALBASE/etc/X11 and LOCALBASE/lib/X11.

> svn is even less predictable: the config files for each repo -- and
> there may be many repos -- live within the directory structure of the
> repo itself.  Repos can be put just about anywhere within the filesystem.

We're talking about system-wide configuration

    PREFIX/etc/subversion/config

It allows you to define site-specific defaults that affect all users and
all repos.

> No idea about git -- I guess it behaves much the same as svn.

    PREFIX/etc/gitconfig

I'd add PREFIX/etc/mercurial/hgrc here, but its port uses PYDISTUTILS to
build itself. I'm not sure if it has smth similar to SYSCONFDIR, i.e.

    AC_SUBST([sysconfdir],     ['${prefix}/etc'])

that becomes default value for --sysconfdir for GNU_CONFIGURE scripts.