preferred place for system-wide config files

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 18 20:21:05 UTC 2010

On 5/18/2010 12:57 PM, Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:50:07PM +0400, Anonymous wrote:
>
>> This still doesn't clarify where to look for files that are *not*
>> installed, e.g. config files. Such files can be created by user and only
>> used by the port itself when they exist. Does it matter whether they're
>> installed or not to choose LOCALBASE over PREFIX?
>
> PREFIX.

Just to be clear I think you're referring to _installing_ files, right?
In the world where PREFIX and LOCALBASE are different, PREFIX cannot be
relied on to exist after the port is installed. Therefore regarding
configuration files that are not installed by the port the thing
installed (for example portmaster) should look for its configuration
files in LOCALBASE.

Doug

			-- Propellerheads