ccache 3.0 port

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue May 11 18:03:34 UTC 2010

On 11/05/2010 17:55:38, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:19:02 +0100
> Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

>> To submit an update, generate a diff against the previous version of
>> the port using 'diff -Nur'.  Attach this to a PR 'send-pr -a
>> port.diff'
>
> I prefer http://ionut.tetcu.info/FreeBSD/How-to-submit-a-diff.txt

Indeed -- that's a much better written set of instructions than my
rather off-the-cuff e-mail.

>> - -- fill in the fields in the PR as sensibly as possible: the
>> Severity and Priority fields have become rather debased so just set
>> them to 'serious' and 'medium' respectively.
>
> NO, please. Just because some people don't think, there's no need for
> us to imitate them :)
>
> There's nothing urgent or serious about this PR.

The 'Severity' field is clearly aimed at bug reports, and doesn't really
make sense for change requests like this.  I tend to use 'Serious'
because while it's clearly not critical, 'non-critical' seems too
trivial.  I think it's really a flaw in Gnats that those fields can be
set by the person submitting the bug report.  I think they should be
only be settable by whoever analyzes the report or works on resolving
it[*].

>> Category is 'ports'.
>> If you were the maintainer of the port, Class would be 'maintainer
>> update'; as you aren't the Class should be 'change request' (which is
>> correct in this case, even if one of the changes is to make yourself
>> maintainer).
>
> Change request. Or did I miss where the OP said that the current
> maintainer gave him the maintainership?

Yes -- it's a Change request.  That's actually what I said, although in
retrospect I could have expressed it more clearly.  Rule of thumb is
it's always a change request unless your e-mail address as Maintainer in
the Makefile has been committed to CVS

I don't think anything I said is terribly at variance with your document
and I think I prefer what you say there anyhow.  Is it likely to be
added to the Porter's Handbook or appear on the FreeBSD website as a
stand-alone article?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Did anyone have any good suggestions for a replacement for Gnats
yet?  I know there is a desire to replace it with something better.

- --
                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW