Git daemon issues under FreeBSD

Marin Atanasov Nikolov dnaeon at gmail.com
Sat May 8 18:11:05 UTC 2010

Hello there,

I was setting up a Git repository under a jail in FreeBSD 8.0, but
I've noticed some very strange behaviour of git-daemon.

When you enable git-daemon from rc.conf, the daemon is started
properly but it is not serving any connections at all, it is not
logging anything as well.

But if you start git-daemon using /usr/local/etc/rc.d/git_daemon
directly from the command-line it works just fine.

Here's mine /etc/rc.conf file:

# Enable git-daemon
git_daemon_enable="YES"
git_daemon_directory="/usr/home/git"
git_daemon_flags="--verbose --syslog --base-path=/usr/home/git
--detach --reuseaddr"

At first I thought this is related to the jail, but then I tested this
on a physical host - it was the same result. I'm not sure if this is
related to FreeBSD, or git-daemon itself.

I've checked the command-line that was used to execute the rc.d script
during boot-time, and then executed the same command from the
command-line and then git-daemon works. It's just that git-daemon is
not working at all when it is executed during boot-time.

The annoying part of this is that during a system reboot, you need to
restart git-daemon again using /usr/local/etc/rc.d/git_daemon rc.d
script.

Does anyone have an idea what's exactly happening?

Regards,
Marin

--
Marin Atanasov Nikolov