Dixit port bad management

Mihai Militaru mihai.militaru at gmx.com
Fri May 7 00:29:33 UTC 2010

Sarcasm may not be an excuse for an irrational behavior. I noted this
"suprematism" he's talking about as well, although I'd not call it like
that - it assumes a superiority - but an unnecessary hubris.
Most questions I investigated since I'm on this system have been
answered already here and there on the internet by some maintainers,
things like: "go read the Bible", "it is a problem with your hardware",
"you've done something wrong." or no answer. Note the period after
"wrong".

I understand that people are busy, we should collaborate (aka. I
should fix some bugs as well) - but that assumes that users who are not
expert should be helped with tips, advices quickstarts not to be
dismissed as suckers. Indeed, like Tim said, the ports are listed -I
was happy to see that I could use most of the software I was used to -
but a lot of them simply don't work, in other words they're empty
advertising.

Let's take an example: LXDE. We have a desktop listed; its capabilities?
Dumping core on amd64, since Q1 2009 if not earlier. Nobody says
anything about it, I would like to ask about it, but considering the
"encouragement" I got from my previous experiences - eg. a simple
unanswered question about openssl and something else where "my hardware
was faulty" although it works flawlessly on other OSs - I prefer to
shut up and get back to my torn and partially sewed installation.

Thanks for reading and btw, I like FreeBSD, its principles and many
things to count, so don't try to kick me out back on Linux :P.
That means that I seriously appreciate most of what's done and I'm
excited something new almost every day, except for these unfortunate
situations which break any hope of reliability, from a pragmatic POV.

What would be the best approach for an user who simply can't find other
way around than to get help or ask for something to be fixed, to keep
insisting, posting new threads?

Regards,
Mihai

--