Status of Xorg 7.5 and xfce4?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed May 5 17:07:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, 5 May 2010, Ondrej Majerech wrote:

> Try renaming your ~/.config/xfce4 and ~/.config/xfce4-session to something
> else and see if that allows you to use your desktop again.

I wish I'd thought of that.  Here's what I did:

After a reboot, and not having attempted to start X or xfce...
mkdir ~/backup
mv ~/.config ~/backup
startxfce4 (or startx if .xinitrc starts xfce4)
xfce starts with defaults.
Click "quit" button in panel, or right-click desktop,
   Applications/Log Out.
Click "Log Out".
rm -rf ~/.config (this is the new copy just created by xfce).
mv ~/backup/.config ~

After that, xfce starts every time.  Or at least every time I've
tried--20 times in a row on one system.  And it's worked on two systems.

Now why it worked...