MD2 Dependency in FreeBSD 8.0 - OpenSSL 1.0.0 Needs MD2 enabled

Stacy Millions stacy at Millions.Ca
Mon May 3 14:11:57 UTC 2010

John Marshall wrote:
> This is obviously a workaround but...
>
> After updating ports (including security/openssl) on a FreeBSD 8-STABLE
> (Feb 25) system, I couldn't build net/samba33.  This is what I saw...
>
>   Linking bin/smbd
>   /usr/lib/libhx509.so: undefined reference to `MD2_Init'
>   /usr/lib/libhx509.so: undefined reference to `MD2_Final'
>   /usr/lib/libhx509.so: undefined reference to `MD2_Update'
>   gmake: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1
>   *** Error code 1
>
> OpenSSL 1.0.0 does not include MD2 by default but does include a knob:
>
>   MD2     "Build with MD2 hash (obsolete)" off
>
> If I re-build OpenSSL 1.0.0 with the "obsolete" MD2, then samba builds
> happily.
>
> Is there a better workaround until such time as the base system Heimdal
> is updated?

I have been playing with porting heimdal 1.3.2 for a couple days now; as
far as I can tell, MD2 is not optional for heimdal. I see three options
- build openssl 1.0.0 with MD2
- build heimdal with hcrypto (it won't use openssl then)
- patch heimdal to remove MD2 support

The first is the easiest and the way I have been testing the port, but I
might take a look at adding a knob to enable hcrypto. Removing MD2 would
require more effort than I am willing to spend at the moment.

-stacy