GSoC: Making ports work with clang

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Sun May 2 07:35:24 UTC 2010

Andrius Morkūnas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm Andrius Morkūnas from Lithuania. My Summer of Code proposal was
> accepted
> this year and be working on my project, which is to make clang and
> ports to
> be friendly with each other.
> My main goals are:
> * Create an easy way to set ports compiler to either clang or gcc (and
> no,
>   CC=clang is not a good way to do that).
> * Write a tool to detect common problems with individual ports not
> respecting
>   environment variables like CC/CXX or doing other horrible things
> that break
>   compilation with clang.
> * Make Gnome, KDE, Xorg and other widely used things to work with clang.

Having tried clang++ I have a feeling that it's not quite ready to be a
generic c++ compiler.
It crashes a lot, fails on many quite simple c++ patterns. Very immature.
Don't you feel it's too early to start project like you are going to
given the state of clang with c++?
You will just keep stumbling upon various problems with various ports
and maybe will make 30% of c++ ports build with it at best.

Yuri