Old ports bugs analyzis

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 06:16:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 03/30/10 21:36, Arseny Nasokin wrote:
>> I don't clearly understand, will be ports system removed?
>
> At this time all discussion is theoretical. LONG before we make any
> actual changes the users will have a chance to chime in, and will be
> notified if any actual changes are made.

    Ports shouldn't ever be removed; it's just that the focus for
folks should be shifted to binary packages unless they have a pressing
urge to install packages from source, or don't want the bloat
associated with the package they're installing.
    Doug is right though -- it's going to take a while before what's
being discussed is going to happen and we'll provide sufficient heads
up before the changes are made.
HTH,
-Garrett