default binutils - linker 2.15 versus 2.20

CeDeROM tomek.cedro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 01:02:19 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM, CeDeROM <tomek.cedro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Rene Ladan <r.c.ladan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/3/26 CeDeROM <tomek.cedro at gmail.com>:
>>> Hello world!
>>>
>>> I have problems building applications requiring ld 2.20 (located at
>>> /usr/local/bin) where ld 2.15 (located at /usr/bin) is being invoked
>>> with c++ (gcc4.2.1). Why there are two linkers on the system? Is it
>>> possible to update the default linker to version 2.20?

Ok, I've found few ways to accomplish this easily:
-use the "-B/usr/local/bin/" switch just as the -L and the -I
-use environment COMPILER_PATH or better GCC_EXEC_PATH to specify path
for programs executed internally by the gcc

Both of these solutions simply prepends specified path before the
environment data, so if the program is not found in the specified
path, it is still searched in standard order :-) Testing under way..

Best regards,
Tomek