Java For Firefox

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 20:14:35 UTC 2010

On Fri 19 Mar 2010 at 10:24:51 PDT Programmer In Training wrote:
>On 03/19/10 11:48, Jerry wrote:
>>
>> Is there any reason that you don't simply install 'bash'? I use it as
>> my shell and love it.
>
>It came on very strong recommendation from one of my geek friends as an
>alternative to bash (which he termed as a "joke"). I've managed to make
>some basic cosmetic customizations to it that make it /look/ like bash,
>so I'm happy with that. Just have to get use to not having tab-complete
>suggestions (or find a way to enable that, too).

There are things in bash that I find quite useful (enhanced variable
substitution and shell functions are two that I use most often) and I
refuse to forego them just because some geek thinks bash is a 'joke'.

Both shells have their pro's and con's. Rather than commit exclusively
to either one, a wiser course is to use the one that's best suited to
the task at hand. Sometimes that's tcsh, sometimes it's bash.

In other words, make it an engineering decision, not a social or a
political one.