Java For Firefox

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Fri Mar 19 17:25:03 UTC 2010

On 03/19/10 11:48, Jerry wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:05:31 -0500
> Programmer In Training <pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> articulated:
<snip>
>> I would be more then willing to donate cycles and space for testing and
>> bug reporting. That's going to be the extent of my contributions
>> because I am still getting the hang of tcsh (I'm used to bash, still
>> some things in tcsh that are different enough for me to get used to)
>> and of FreeBSD (I am new to using it also, having taken a multi-year
>> hiatus from any time of *Nix environment (previously Gentoo Linux)).
>
> Is there any reason that you don't simply install 'bash'? I use it as
> my shell and love it.

It came on very strong recommendation from one of my geek friends as an
alternative to bash (which he termed as a "joke"). I've managed to make
some basic cosmetic customizations to it that make it /look/ like bash,
so I'm happy with that. Just have to get use to not having tab-complete
suggestions (or find a way to enable that, too).

>> If any of that came across as what you are paraphrasing me (claiming to
>> be remembering the original post) as implying, than I really will
>> leave. It's a dirt-poor attitude to have toward your new users. I'm at
>> least making an effort to not be a n00b.
>
> Don't take it personal. Whether or not you are praised or ridiculed

It's hard not to when someone either a) misunderstands because didn't
actually read the OP but claims to be remembering from it (perhaps there
is another OP that I'm not aware of that he's referring to?) or b)
willfully misunderstands just to be a troll. I didn't ask to get a
flamewar started. I asked because while Java (right now) isn't a
requirement for me to use, FF3.6 (with all the latest security patches),
is. As a part-time web developer, I need to have these tools available
to me (and again, I am willing to help make that a reality).

> depends entirely on where you are seated. Saying Microsoft sucks
> because they don't have {Applet of your choice} and you will be
> praised. Complain that your OS of choice lacks a feature that is
> readily available on other OS's and you will be chastised. It just goes
> with the territory. At times it can get really hilarious.
<snip>

That stopped being hilarious after my first six months on slashdot (many
moons ago (I signed up circa 2003)).
--
Yours In Christ,

PIT
Original content copyright under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org
Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a list it is because I am subscribed.