[freebsd-ports] Pilot error or bash dependencies broken?

Mike Winter mike.winter at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 17:39:05 UTC 2010

In spirit of a beginner's first question to 'freebsd-ports' please tell me why bash depends on x11?

in /etc/make.conf I had WITHOUT_X11=yes and I ended up needing Xvfb. This is confusing to me. I get into a nasty loop of failed dependencies:

make install -DWITHOUT_X11 bash
[snip]
===>   xorg-vfbserver-1.6.0,1 depends on executable: Xvfb - not found
===>    Verifying install for Xvfb in /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-vfbserver
===>   xorg-vfbserver-1.6.0,1 depends on executable: Xvfb - not found
[snip many same lines]

same result if I remove the WITHOUT_X11 from cmd-line and make.conf and try to make install Xvfb in x11-servers/xorg-vfbserver and the same result if I cd  x11-servers; make install

>pwd
/usr/ports/shells/bash

# this dependency chain is to my mind very wrong for bash, why?
>make missing bash
x11-servers/xorg-vfbserver
x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps
x11-fonts/font-alias