FreeBSD Port: smartmontools-5.39.1

Matthias Andree mandree at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 13 21:54:54 UTC 2010

Am 13.03.2010 17:42, schrieb Ing. Bc. Břetislav Kubesa:

> I can't compile latest version at all, was not able to find any guide on
> internet.... maybe FBSD 5.4 is not supported anymore?
> Version smartmontools-5.38_8 is working fine on BSD 5.4, tested compile on
> FBSD 6.2 and it's fine as well...so it's maybe incompatible with this old
> version, althoght it's the only one port not working on this system at this
> moment.

Hi Břetislav,

smartmontools needs to talk to the IDE/SATA/SCSI/SAT drivers, and as such it
requires particular interfaces that may have been added to FreeBSD 6.X; or it
may be that FreeBSD 5.X has deliberately been removed by someone.  I can't say
which is true, because I haven't investigated closely.

FreeBSD 5.X isn't supported by the FreeBSD security team, or by the FreeBSD
ports system, any more.  The oldest supported release is 6.4, see
<http://www.freebsd.org/security/#sup> -- and I'd say it's advisable to upgrade
to that (that also applies to the 6.2 computer you're using: consider upgrading).
  In my experience, the 5.X -> 6.X upgrades have been painless, but be sure to
backup your data first and adhere to the upgrade documentation that comes with
the new FreeBSD release, or as in the FreeBSD Handbook.

HTH
Matthias Andree