ldd(1) manpage bug and how to know who depends on libchamplain.so

Ruslan Mahmatkhanov cvs-src at yandex.ru
Sun Jun 20 20:38:51 UTC 2010

Good day!

I (still) have a trouble in using deskutils/gtg after gnome update,
but i was able to make it work partially (it was new intel video
driver issue). So, new problem is appear when i try to select some menu
item - it crashes with:

"""
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/champlain.so: Undefined symbol
"champlain_add_constants"
"""

I seems to rebuilt all the gnome/X things more then one time, but
it steel persists. gtg isn't depend on libchamplain directly so how can
i know who actually call champlain_add_constants routine from
libchamplain.so?

While trying to uncover this with ldd i found a bug in ldd(1) manpage. I
was using command line from EXAMPLES section in tcsh and sh like so:

find . -type f | xargs -n1 file -f | grep ELF | cut -f1 -d' ' | xargs
ldd -f '%A %o\n' | grep champlain.so

and i always get

"""
Usage: file [-bcikLhnNrsvz0] [-e test] [-f namefile] [-F separator] [-m
magicfiles] file...
        file -C -m magicfiles
Try `file --help' for more information.
"""

Maybe it should read `xargs -n1 file -f`, not -F?

Thanks for any help.

--
Regards,
Ruslan