apr ports devrandom option

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jun 16 23:07:36 UTC 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 4:01 PM, RW wrote:
> The devel/apr* ports have an option to use /dev/random, which is on by
> default.
>
> I was wondering under what circumstances anyone would turn that off. As
> far as I can see switching it off doesn't replace /dev/random with
> anything else.

On some platforms, /dev/random and /dev/urandom used to provide different quality of random numbers-- FreeBSD simply uses Yarrow or a hardware RNG source if available.  Even if you disable it, it's likely to just fall back to OpenSSL's source of random numbers, which probably is /dev/random anyway....

Regards,
--
-Chuck