RFC: Mk/bsd.jpeg.mk to automagically handle jpeg dependency

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Jun 16 08:57:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:09:57PM -0300, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	Ever since the addition of graphics/libjpeg-turbo, I had
> been wondering how one could possibly build the whole ports tree
> with it instead of graphics/jpeg. I wanted the choice.
>
> 	Therefore, I wrote the attached bsd.jpeg.mk as a suggestion.
>
> 	With it, we just add
>
> USE_JPEG=	yes
>
> to any port that requires a jpeg library (either a build or a link
> dependency).

Sounds great!  Thanks for your work!  Just one small worry, see below...

> 	It will automagically detected the already installed jpeg
> port variant (libjpeg-turbo or jpeg) and depend on it. If the user prefers to set the variant, he can do so using
>
> WITH_JPEG=	jpeg
>
> or
>
> WITH_JPEG=	libjpeg-turbo

Is it possible that this will conflict with ports that have a JPEG item
in their OPTIONS list?  There are at least the astro/xplanet, editors/emacs,
graphics/devil, graphics/gdal, graphics/gegl, graphics/grx, graphics/imlib2,
graphics/ocaml-images, graphics/opencv, graphics/podofo, graphics/tumbler,
mail/spamprobe, math/R, multimedia/gmerlin, multimedia/gpac-libgpac,
multimedia/libquicktime, multimedia/spook, multimedia/transcode, x11/aterm,
x11-fm/thunar, x11/mrxvt-devel, and x11-wm/jwm ports that do that, and
there might be more that a simple fgrep -le WITH_JPEG -e WITHOUT_JPEG did
not catch.

G'luck,
Peter

--