Renamed Haskell Applications

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Wed Jun 2 15:38:11 UTC 2010

* Ashish SHUKLA (wahjava.ml at gmail.com) wrote:

> > I strictly object to adding hs- prefix to end-user applications like
> > darcs and xmonad, because it's a huge POLA violation. Users do not care
> > what the application is written in, they just search for
> > devel/{svn,mercurial,darcs} and x11-wm/{xmonad,icewm}, and should find
> > these ports in the expected places. We don't prefix mercurial with
> > py- and icewm with c-, similarily we shouldn't prefix darcs et al with
> > hs-. Modules that are used only for development and as dependencies is a
> > whole different thing, and definitely are what prefixes are for.
>
> I agree with you, but by a pre-existing convention (not carved in stone
> anywhere, AFAIK) in FreeBSD, I prefer keeping ports prefixed with
> 'hs-'.
>
> 1. Padre, which is an editor hacked in Perl is available from a port named
>    'p5-Padre'.
>
> 2. SpamAssassin, an anti-spam filter is available as 'p5-Mail-SpamAssassin'.
>
> 3. Pencil which is a mockup based out-of firefox is available as
>    'www/xpi-pencil', which even doesn't have anything to do with World Wide
>    Web except that it runs in a www browser, still has name/category like
>    that.
>
> 4.  Conkeror, the web browser is available as 'xpi-conkeror'.

Those all should probably be fixed.

> And also having 'hs-' prefix implies their being implemented in Haskell. I'm
> sure other users who are aware of the convention of p5-, py-, xpi- will try to
> search for Haskell related app as 'hs-'.

Prefix does not "mars everything haskell-related", because if it was the
case, we'd have ports with multiple prefixes. Prefix marks everything
that should be moved out of list of end-user applications, and
everything that should be separated with a similarily named port for
other language. For darcs et al that's definitely not the case.

> So, IMHO 'hs-' for all haskell based ports is a nice idea towards
> uniformity/symmetry.

This is uniformity/symmetry for the sake of uniformity/symmetry, that
can't be good.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru