Strange contents on some ftp mirrors

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Wed Jul 28 22:24:01 UTC 2010

On 28/07/2010 23:36, Marcin Wisnicki wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:02:40 +0200, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>
>> On 28/07/2010 17:58, Marcin Wisnicki wrote:
>>>
>>> I think you could also detect inconsistent mirror by comparing
>>> modification time of package against mtime of INDEX. If pkg is newer
>>> than INDEX then it's a sign of incomplete sync.
>>
>> True, but if the check does not fail it still doesn't mean that the
>> package is valid. Checking against the master (it will check size and
>> time) is the safest method, I think
>
> What do you mean by master ? If you think about ftp-master then it's
> password protected. AFAIK there is no publicly available ftp site
> that is an authoritative source, ftp.freebsd.org is synced just like
> any other mirror.
> You can see in my initial post that it was even less up-to-date than
> ftp.fr.freebsd.org.

Well, I never had a download of an INDEXED package fail from one
of the unnumbered servers, so there ought to be something different,
because the remaining mirrors normally only are able to provide
~20% of them.

Any way, in pkg_upgrade terms master is whichever server is chosen
to provide the index. Everything else downloaded will be checked to
be consistent with that one.

It's not about getting the latest packages, but about getting a
consistent set.