security/hydra and www/hydra

Ashish SHUKLA ashish at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 21 19:19:16 UTC 2010

Ruslan Mahmatkhanov writes:
> 21.07.2010 20:47, Ashish SHUKLA пишет:
>> In case of multiple ports installing files with same name at same path, then
>> one of them needs to alter the file names by using suffix or prefix, like GNU
>> projects do when they collide with BSD equivalents by using 'g' as prefix.

> I don't think that prefixing gnu tools is good example.
> For example we have native make in /usr/bin and gmake
> in /usr/local/bin.And native make is in base system, and
> gmake is a port.

> So why CONFLICTS needed then for?

IMHO, CONFLICTS are suited for ports which represent same project or forks or
with different options which install files at same places thus can't be
installed side-by-side. e.g. irc/bitlbee and irc/bitlbee-otr, editors/emacs*
ports etc., thats purely my observation.

> And is this ok to have two ports with the same name. I've
> searched Porters Handbook for this, but found nothing (i think
> it pretty obvious to mention it in docs).
> What if want to remove one of then, or update. Which one
> will be removed/updated?

Well, I don't think its good to have two ports with same name, esp. when they
result in same PKGNAME. To distinguish between similar named ports add a
prefix or suffix to them.

> Please don't get me wrong, just curious.

No problems.

% echo 'pkill cat' >curiosity

--
Ashish SHUKLA      | GPG: F682 CDCC 39DC 0FEA E116  20B6 C746 CFA9 E74F A4B0
freebsd.org!ashish | http://people.freebsd.org/~ashish/

“Keep your BitTorrent clients running and make the world a better
place to live in.” (Sir Debarshi Ray, ".signature", 2010)