Wordpress outputs an empty page after ports upgrade

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 23:22:01 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yuri" <yuri at rawbw.com>
To: "Steven Hartland" <killing at multiplay.co.uk>
Cc: "Remko Lodder" <remko at elvandar.org>; <ports at FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:33 PM
Subject: Re: Wordpress outputs an empty page after ports upgrade

> On 07/20/2010 15:15, Steven Hartland wrote:
>> Sounds like an upgrade issue, possibly a broken theme or missing
>> dependency.
>>
>> We're running WP 3 on FreeBSD here without problem, although we don't use
>> the port as I don't really see the need for WP tbh as its so easy to
>> install
>> anyway.
>
> port upgrades to the latest version automatically, this is the main benefit

I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick there. Ports can be used
to uninstall the old and install the new version yes, but I don't believe it
automates any of the upgrade process required for something like wordpress
for you.

I've had peek at the workpress Makefile and it has the following in it which
also indicates this is the case:-
"If you want to upgrade, you must read upgrade document."

So if you've just used the port to upgade, then this is likely your your problem.

I'd suggest restoring you pre-upgrade backup of both files and db and perform a
manual upgrade as per the wordpress guide.
http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress

    Regards
    Steve