USE_PERL5_BUILD on perl-less system/jail Q

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 20 02:01:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Roger Marquis wrote:

> Is there an option somewhere to deinstall Perl after installing a port that
> specifies "USE_PERL5_BUILD=yes"?
>
> This is a PITA on jails and other systems with minimal software and
> strict disk limits.  Applications using USE_PERL5_BUILD add non-trivial
> time and overhead to installations and upgrades, then don't remove the
> build dependency afterwards.  Most of these apps don't even appear to
> need Perl but for an operation or two that could have been done in a BASE
> language like awk or sh.
>
> Anyone know of a workaround, I mean other than manual pkg_delete?

Wow, it's shameless plug day here on freebsd-ports@! :)

Portmaster has an option to do exactly this, --delete-build-only. You
should also look at the --packages-build option.

hth,

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso