Allow folloing 302 codes in FETCH_ARGS in bsd.port.mk

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 19 21:30:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What about removing the -A option from FETCH_ARGS to allow fetch to
> follow 302 code.

I've always wondered why we have that in the defaults, perhaps someone
who knows can answer? If it served a valid purpose in the past, but does
not any longer, perhaps it's time to remove it?

> It causes trouble when using some authenticated proxies.
> It also causes troubles with github which is more and more used. Lots
> of projects on github doesn't provides distfiles, they rely on git
> tags automatically presented as distfiles, they only way to fetch them
> is to follow 302 codes, the workaround is to ask developpers to
> provide distfiles.

We have already had the discussion about this issue and we're not going
to be creating ports that download random files from VCS repos. So yes,
the person/team who is responsible for the port will have to provide a
tarball of a known-good version. But that's completely unrelated to the
idea of -A in FETCH_ARGS.

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso