How to upgrade perl 5.8 to 5.10?

Helmut Schneider jumper99 at gmx.de
Wed Jan 20 15:02:40 UTC 2010

Michal Varga wrote:

> I'm not a heavy Perl user, but I don't remember anything ever melting
> "too much", while doing it this way. Of course, there are things like
> irssi, that break -every time- you reinstall Perl (even the same
> version), but one gets used to it quickly. Then there is the rest that
> probably only execs some scripts with Perl and doesn't care about your
> versions (much). Majority of your, or mine, installed ports have Perl
> only as an inherited dependency and never directly use it, so -af is a
> bit overkill in such cases, i mean:
>
>  pkg_info | wc -l
>      805

Hell!

> So even when you're switching near-major versions, recompiling p5-*
> and maybe some of those in your list (I'd randomly pick, say amavisd,
> bsdpan- and razor) should be enough, the fallout will be minimal, if
> any (and if so, you just rebuild that one more that still fails).
> Nevertheless, your list in't that extensive, recompiling all of it
> shouldn't take more than half an hour, that's still a bit cheaper than
> -af :)

# pkg_info | wc -l
     457
#

And this machine is even my package-building station!

Anyway, portupgrade -af took 45 minutes. *g*

# dmesg -a
[...]
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5420  @ 2.50GHz (2500.10-MHz
K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x10676  Stepping = 6

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE
,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

Features2=0xce3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDC
M,DCA,SSE4.1>
  AMD Features=0x20000800<SYSCALL,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant
real memory  = 8589934592 (8192 MB)
avail memory = 8256348160 (7873 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <IBM    SERBLADE>
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 2 package(s) x 4 core(s)

--
No Swen today, my love has gone away
My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn