Nouveau Starts Dropping Non-KMS Support

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 13 01:28:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 20:05 +0300, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> * Michal Varga (varga.michal at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Well anyway, are we going to lose Nouveau yet before we even properly
> > got it, or are there any plans to workaround this "issue"? I mean,
> > last I heard KMS in FreeBSD is not going to happen for years (if
> > ever), so what other options are still open?
>
> I second the question. I'll remind that the same had happened with
> xf86-video-intel, which doesn't support non-KMS setups since 2.10.0.

My roadmap is basically, GEM -> TTM -> KMS.  GEM, I think I have sorted
out what we need to do.  TTM, is a bit more tricky, but at least now, I
think that I now understand the VM system well enough to get some of
this working.  KMS on the other hand, needs GEM/TTM to start with and
I'm not yet sure how well it will integrate with syscons.

My main issue right now is time... I just started a new job which has
cut my time for FreeBSD work almost entirely.  (read, I'm keeping up
with e-mail and most code has to wait for the weekends.)

I do have a fair amount of stuff queued up to be committed, and a good
bit of cleanup that I would like to knock out.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD