The state of Ada (Re: FreeBSD unmaintained ports which are currently scheduled for deletion)

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Jan 8 20:00:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 06:56:38PM +0000, freebsd-ports at coreland.ath.cx wrote:
> I created the lang/gnat-gcc44 port a couple of months ago and have
> worked to ensure that it works on 7/8 i386/x86_64. Unfortunately, there
> won't be support for other platforms until somebody else decides to do
> the cross compilation and produce bootstrap binaries (it's not particularly
> difficult, just time consuming).

IMHO it's not much worth worrying about the state of Ada on our tier-2
architectures.  I just don't see there being any userbase for that.

sparc64 has lots of other ports that need attention more than Ada, and
the other archs ... just need lots of attention.  (Yes, I do know of
people using powerpc and ia64 even as desktops, but they're a small,
brave, minority.)

fwiw, I'm glad you've taken up the banner of fixing this stuff.

mcl