updates to pending new ports

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jan 7 09:48:59 UTC 2010

Klaus T. Aehlig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, I submitted PR ports/141674 suggesting a port for the uzbl
> web browser. Given the current holiday season, I'm not surprised that
> it is still unassigned. On the other hand, upstream has developped
> further, and I wonder if I'm right in submitting updated versions of
> this port as followups to the PR. (My thoughts went along the lines
> "If it's still unassigned, then probably no committer has spent any
> time on it; so when it gets assigned to a commiter, (s)he might as well
> look at a port for the latest version".) Or should I consider the
> fact that the PR is unassigned as a sign that this port is
> probably not interesting for FreeBSD?
>
> [Since I'm using that browser on my private machine, I'm updating
> the port anyway, so it's no extra work for me to submit follow
> ups. I'm just wondering whether this is what I'm supposed to do,
> or just considered annoying.]

It's certainly better to submit updates by following up on an already open
ticket, rather than creating a whole raft of new tickets.

Updating your port before it is committed does indicate a certain degree of
commitment to keeping the port up to date, which is a good thing.

You can't really assume anything about the status of your submission if it
is still unassigned.  All that really means is that no one has yet taken
responsibility for checking and committing it.  If there were any questions
as to whether the port should be added to the tree at all, then they would be
coming to you from the committer that had assigned the PR to themselves.  If
your new port has been languishing unassigned for a long time (I'd say a few
weeks at least), it's legitimate to ask about its status on this list -- as
you say, submitting the port during the holiday season may well have slipped
it under the radar of anyone that might work on it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW