portmaster: printing messages that do not come from pkg-message files

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 2 21:32:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 01:11:38PM -0800, Charlie Kester wrote:
> On Sat 02 Jan 2010 at 09:14:11 PST Julien Laffaye wrote:
> >2010/1/2 Nikola Le??i?? <nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net>:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> portmaster's feature to print collected pkg-message files after
> >> successful installation is very useful. However, there are many ports
> >> that echo messages from inside Makefile, usually in post-install phase
> >> (but not exclusively there).
> >>
> >> A simple question: would it be possible (or better, would it be
> >> desirable) to collect that text as well and to include it in the final
> >> output in the same way it is done with pkg-messages?
> >>

> >Hi,
> >
> >It's better to correct these ports to make them use pkg-message, so it
> >will be printed by portmaster *and* pkg_add (dont forget packages !)
>
> Sometimes whether a message is echoed depends on a knob.  The porter's
> handbook includes examples of this.  Is there a way to get the same
> effect with pkg-messages?

See devel/git for an example of displaying pkg-message depending upon a
knob. I'm sure with a bit of creativity you could display only a portion
of pkg-message depending upon a knob.

-- WXS