portmaster usage for a list of ports

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sat Feb 27 18:36:25 UTC 2010

On 02/27/10 02:10, Michael Reifenberger wrote:
> Hi,
> for compiling a list of ports inside a emulated FreeBSD-current environment
> I would need to use portmaster as:
>
> cat ./myports.txt | xargs portmaster -r -R -G -g -d -m "WITHOUT_GSSAPI=YES"
> (myports.txt contains a list of to be installed/updated ports)

First, you should remove -r (and therefore -R) from that list of
options. See the man page. While you're reading it, look for the
--list-origins option as well. Second, I think you're better off putting
WITHOUT_GSSAPI in /etc/make.conf.

Finally, to answer your actual question: portmaster `cat myports.txt`
is how you want to do this (as described in the man page). :)  By
running portmaster against the entire list instead of one port at a time
you will benefit from all of the caching that it does.

hth,

Doug

			-- Propellerheads