FreeBSD Ports Problem - Please help

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Fri Feb 12 19:47:46 UTC 2010

jhell wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:25, kamikaze@ wrote:
>> jhell wrote:

>>> Among all these you may find it useful to install sysutils/libchk.
>>>
>>> This utility can play a key role in locating just the packages/ports
>>> that need to be rebuilt against the new library.
>>
>> Hmm, I just tested it, because my port sysutils contains pkg_libchk,
>> which has a very similar function.
>>
>> My script needs 6m14.73s for a full run, whereas libchk only
>> requires 3m56.38s.
>>
>> However libchk yields a lot of false positives, it's quite difficult
>> to find the information you need. The output of pkg_libchk looks
>> like that:
>> hdf5-1.6.9_1: /usr/local/bin/h5perf misses libh5test.so.0
>>
>> So it's a lot easier to make a list of broken ports. It also only
>> lists directly linked libraries, so it really only lists the packages
>> that need relinking. A lot of its runtime is dedicated to detecting
>> false positives.
>>
>> It doesn't have libchk's ability to list unused libraries, though.
>
> Never the less its more of a hands on experience when something goes
> wrong and especially with jpeg. Needless to say the only output your
> really looking for is anything with jpeg in it and the file it lists
> above. False positives are just a side effect of a system that uses
> shared libs and the way that installed programs use them.
>
> Some of the programs that I have noticed that looks like false positives
> are firefox mono octave hdf5 and when found usually you can just surf
> the text file by eye and its not to hard to recognize the path that the
> file installed in and dismiss them.

hdf5 is not a false positive. The port is and has been installing
incompletely for a long time. The maintainer is not willing to patch
that himself and I have no idea what it's even good for, so I won't
bother either.

For the other libraries mentioned - it's not necessary to burden
the user with checking for them manually, so why should it be done?

Regards