Drowning in a KDE4 - xorg - nvidia glass of water after updating all over the weekend. w/links sorry attachments didn't get through

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Wed Feb 10 17:52:13 UTC 2010

Quoting Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>:

> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Warren Block wrote:
>> That looks to me like KDE trying to switch to a particular
>> resolution and failing.  Check the resolution setting in the
>> xorg.conf Screen section.  The easiest is just to set Virtual to
>> the largest resolution your monitor can handle:
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>       Identifier "Screen0"
>>       Device     "Card0"
>>       Monitor    "Monitor0"
>>       SubSection "Display"
>>               Virtual 1920 1200
>>       EndSubSection
>> EndSection
>
> What I should have suggested trying first was to remove the Display
> SubSection and letting xorg autodetect the monitor resolution:
>
> Section "Screen"
>        Identifier "Screen0"
>        Device     "Card0"
>        Monitor    "Monitor0"
> #      SubSection "Display"
> #              Virtual 1920 1200
> #      EndSubSection
> EndSection

I commented it out but no cigar :(  This is my laptop so I moved /root
to /root.org and mkdir /root and tried just in case there was
something in one of the configuration files.  No luck.

KDE seems to finish the Aconadi Server Self tests and hangs.  I have
to ^C from the term window.  I am now writing this from vtwm that is
interesting and usable.  It works fine but does have a black screen
that I would have expected to be gray like twm but . . . . who knows.

I really feel that xorg is working without problems (thanks to you)
and that there is something wrong with my kde4 install.  Any opinions?

Thanks again Warren,

ed