linux-f10-pango security vulnerability

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 20:39:34 UTC 2010

Sorry if there seemed to be any attitude.  There wasn't.  It was just that it seemed like something had slipped through the cracks.  Also, I've watched BSD and derivatives since 1984, I'm fully aware of FreeBSDs volunteer support.  Also, notice it was posted with a "please" and "asap" not ASAP.  If I had the time, I would fix it myself.  Heck, if I could work on FreeBSD and support a decent lifestyle, I'd work on getting it where it's interface could be much better for a junior or intermediate system administrator would better understand it and there would probably be a larger following than the haphazard junk that is the Linux kernel. The linux kernel is larger than the entire FreeBSD OS with kernel and userland.  Bloat much?

Personally, FreeBSD is a vastly superior OS to many commercial and all free OSes.  (I'm still holding back on my decision about MacOSX and OpenSolaris <--making huge strides in tech again.)  Also, the information flow between SUN/Solaris and BSD is better than it's been in years (since the times of NFS/NIS and RPCs) with the advent of ZFS and DTrace and VirtualBox.  Also, Apple and DarwinOS make me cheer for the desktop invasion of BSD.  I still look back at all the doom and gloom about FreeBSD's death 5 years ago and now it's stronger than ever.  It's like the bionic OS "Gentlemen, we have the technology... we can make it better... stronger.... faster..... smaller in footprint" (OK, so the 1984 reference and the 6 million dollar man reference shows my age. :-) )

Take no offense, FreeBSD people.  I'm a 2.1 to 8.x user.  I have all my subscription CD's in my home server room.  I'm closing on my 25th year as a System Administrator/Consultant/Contractor/Architect... UNIX and networking with Comp. Sci degree.  I worked with BSD 4.2, 4.3, 4.3-Tahoe, 4.3-Reno, etc.

Awaiting HAST at this point.  Already have ZFS (gpt with zfsboot - no ufs) and FreeBSD 8.0 at home.

BTW, someone should port OpenNMS to FreeBSD.  It is, by far, vastly superior to all of the other the monitoring tools:  Nagios, Ganglia, mrtg, etc.  It is enterprise class.

Ending my rant....

Paul