Drowning in a KDE4 - xorg - nvidia glass of water after updating all over the weekend.

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Mon Feb 8 20:22:34 UTC 2010

Quoting Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>:

> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, eculp wrote:
>
>> I haven't had an X/kde problem in years and probably because of
>> that I am stuck.  Problems are learning opportunities;)  To confirm
>> that my las xorg.conf was done with xorgconfig and almost identical
>> to my old XF86config files and all depreciated.
>>
>> When trying to start my brand new kde it stuck with Akonadi and the
>> las line was that it was preparing to launch
>> /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kio_trash.so and it doesn't move from
>> there.  I have to kill it with ^c.  I have a copy of the last run
>> bye using startx 2>&1 | /tmp/TestLog.log and am attaching the file.
>>
>> As I mentioned my xorg.conf didn't work so I created a new on with
>> Xorg -configure and then ran the nvidia-config and used the result
>> also attached.
>
> (No attachments; the list software sometimes removes them.  Also,
> x11 configuration questions are probably best sent to the
> freebsd-x11 list.)

Added links as soon as I saw it.  I chose ports because I have no idea
what the problem is: kde or xorg or ?

> First, rename or delete your xorg.conf and try startx again.  If
> it'll autoconfig correctly for your hardware, problem solved.

I was sure that would work but ....  I am putting the link to the
xorg.0.log here.

http://encontacto.net/bsd/Xorg.0.log-no-xorg.conf

Thanks for the information.  I missed that over the last few updates.
I also see that it wanted to use the vesa driver that isn't quite as
nice as the nvidia but to get away from the black terminals that I
loved so much in the '80's.

> If not, or if you want an xorg.conf, a current sample for an ancient
> GeForce2 follows.  It assumes you have dbus and hal running, and you
> may need to change the BusID value to match your system.

Thanks I will give it a try.  Hopefully it will work for me.  Your
reference to dbus and hal and the BusID, worry me.  I'm going to take
a closer look at them to.  I didn't even include them in my testing mix.

> Section "ServerLayout"
> 	Identifier  "Xorg"
> 	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
> 	Option      "DontZap" "Off"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
> 	ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
> 	Group 0
> 	Mode  0660
> EndSection
>
> Section "Extensions"
> 	Option       "Composite" "Disable"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier  "Card0"
> 	Driver      "nvidia"
> 	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
> 	BoardName   "NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]"
> 	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier "Screen0"
> 	Device     "Card0"
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Virtual 1024 768
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

Thanks,

ed