FreeBSD port: puppet-0.25.3_1

Russell Jackson raj at csub.edu
Fri Feb 5 20:41:42 UTC 2010

On 02/05/2010 11:27 AM, Tobias Lott wrote:
> I just installed a fresh Jail based on FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE to run
> puppetmasterd. On a remote puppetd connecting I get following errors:
>
> debug: Failed to load library 'RRDtool' for feature 'rrd'
> warning: RRD library is missing; cannot store metrics
> warning: RRD library is missing; cannot graph metrics
> warning: RRD library is missing; cannot store metrics
> warning: RRD library is missing; cannot graph metrics
> warning: RRD library is missing; cannot store metrics
> warning: RRD library is missing; cannot graph metrics
> err: Report rrdgraph failed: Could not find graphs for daily
>
> Just installing rrdtool+ruby-bindings did the Job normally.
>
> $ grep RRDtool /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/feature/base.rb
> Puppet.features.add(:rrd, :libs =>  ["RRDtool"])
>

> root at pp (~) ?0 # pkg_info -L rrdtool-1.3.9|grep ruby
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/amd64-freebsd8/RRD.so
>
> Am I missing another dependence here?

I'm not using RRD on my puppetmasterd at the moment. I'll try enabling it and get back to you.

> Are there any Puppet Best Practices with FreeBSD Writeups especially
> about Port Handling around?

None that are specific to FreeBSD that I know of.

Puppet's handling of ports has so far been abysmal. Portupgrade doesn't work very well for
non-interactive usage and doesn't like being detached from a controlling terminal. A large
part of the problem is that the ports system is ill suited to this kind of automation. The
other part is that Luke didn't put much effort into making them work because he was irked
early on by FreeBSD's way of doing things --and I can't blame him.

The freebsd package provider (using pkg_add/remove) for FreeBSD works fairly well, but
you'll have to either settle for whatever is is available official build cluster or setup
your own build cluster and override PACKAGESITE. Even here, the package database is
delicate and easily corrupted. A major deficiency is the lack of locking during package
registration.

I've given a number of attempts at implementing better support for the ports provider, but
I've been hampered by Ruby's oddities (coming from a Python guy) from producing anything
robust enough for public consumption.

/me dons flame suit
Sometimes I wish FreeBSD would just adopt APT.

--
Russell A. Jackson <raj at csub.edu>
Network Analyst