KDE4 load libicui18n.so.38 not found - can create system crash!

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Fri Dec 31 16:52:04 UTC 2010

  _____

From: Sergio de Almeida Lenzi [mailto:lenzi.sergio at gmail.com]
Sent: 31 December 2010 08:46
To: David Southwell
Cc: 'Kurt Jaeger'; freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
Subject: RE: KDE4 load libicui18n.so.38 not found - can create system crash!

for me, I solved this problem with this script, use: sh script
libicui18n.s0.38
it scans every lib in /usr/local  for the string libicui18n.so.38
and than finds the package that has that lib,
finally it builds the ports that have that string.

=======================================
t=/tmp/$$
find /usr/local -name "*.so" | \
while read x
do
if grep $1 $x
then
pkg_info -qW $x >> $t
echo found in $x
fi
done
if [ -s $t ]
then
portmaster $(sort -u $t)
fi
rm -f $t
 Seems a much more sensible approach than rebuilding all ports depending
upon icu. On my system there are 250 targets using portupgrade -fr devel/icu
My guess is your script would have considerably reduced the number of ports.
However I am going to let it complete now the run is underway.

Any ideas why one gets a crash on a second attempt to startx? For more info
see first posting in the thread.

Thanks
David