portmaster: print /usr/ports/UPDATING on update

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 28 23:10:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:55:04 -0800
Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> When I wrote, "we need a tool with striking similarities to
> portaudit" without providing the details I was assuming that people
> are already familiar with it, how it works, etc.

I don't think it's quite as simple as dealing with vulnerabilities. For
example 20100715, the announcement of lang/perl5.12. This affects all
version of lang/perl5.10 (and IMO any ports that depend on perl).
At the moment, I read it once, make a mental note, and come back to it
when I need it. I don't think a portaudit style tool could handle it
as well.

If you update ports regularly, UPDATING is a non-issue. I can skip the
irrelevant entries in seconds. To me the chief problems are delayed
entries and incomplete entries.

What I think would make it worthwhile is it it could abstract all
those simple update recipes like recursive updates, deleting packages,
moving origins, so that a build tool could roll them up and handle
them automatically.