Plans for making MAKE_JOBS_SAFE as default

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Thu Dec 23 13:55:59 UTC 2010

This is a resend, because I forgot to CC ports.

On 23/12/2010 10:18, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> As far as I remember, when _MAKE_JOBS functionality was introduced, one
> of the ultimate goals was to flip the switch at some point so ports are
> built with -jX unless marked as MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE.  What is current
> situation and consensus?  Are we ready for that?  If not, what is
> preventing us to do so?  Is there some road-map, plan, or time frame?
>
> I'd really like to see that happen.  If there is anything I can help
> with, don't hesitate to ask.  :-)

Me too. This is my list of things that don't work with
FORCE_MAKE_JOBS, considering the number of packages on my
system it's pretty short. It might be incomplete,
or contain entries that no longer cause problems:

archivers/p7zip
audio/cdparanoia
audio/nas
converters/libiconv
devel/autoconf261
devel/doxygen
devel/gperf
devel/gobject-introspection
devel/icu
devel/libthai
devel/nasm
devel/ncurses
devel/ORBit2
devel/pth
dns/libidn
editors/vim
games/ultimatestunts
graphics/ImageMagick
graphics/libafterimage{!FORCE_MAKE_JOBS}
graphics/libart_lgpl
graphics/pstoedit
java/openjdk*
java/eclipse