bsd 6 index file

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 22 07:47:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 08:17:27PM +0000, Paul Macdonald wrote:
> On 21/12/2010 19:29, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > On Dec 21, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Paul Macdonald wrote:
> >> I have a couple of older boxes on freebsd 6 that are reporting ports succeeding index, even after a fresh index has been downloaded.
> >> e.g
> >> portupgrade-2.4.8_1,2>    succeeds index (index has 2.4.8,2)
> >> spamass-milter-0.3.1_11>    succeeds index (index has 0.3.1_10)
> > FreeBSD-6 is past it's end of life, and the ports tree no longer maintains a current index file for 6.x.  You can do a "make index" yourself, but there are no guarantees that this will continue to work as time passes.  Time to upgrade to FreeBSD 7 or 8...
> >
> > Regards,
> yup, yup, i know! these boxes are scheduled for upgrades once i get to
> the data center (freebsd-update works great, but it only takes one typo
> in the merged config files for a reboot to fail)
>
> INDEX-6 matched ports fine up till today however, which is why i posted.
>
> maybe today was the 'day'.

Probably depends on what ports you use, you may not have any installed
that were changed since the update of INDEX-6 was stopped.  As Chuck
mentioned, building INDEX yourself will, probably, still work, but the
one downloaded by fetchindex will be outdated.  You can also check out
the last known working portstree on 6 with the tag RELEASE_6_EOL.

Best,
-erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                                   http://droso.org