emacs and gconf troubles

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon Dec 13 09:27:18 UTC 2010

On 12/12/10 17:08, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:

> So, what I think happening in your case is kdm isn't starting the "DBus" on
> startup of your session, which is why it only gets activated (started) when
> you start Emacs (or any other DBus consumer application).
> And for good overall desktop experience, please make sure dbus gets started on
> system startup, as well as session startup. Lots of services expect DBus to be
> running.

I have:
> # ps ax | grep dbus
>  1002  ??  Is     0:00.03 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --system
>  1451  ??  I      0:00.00 dbus-launch --autolaunch=b3fbd8cb89ee22fd22fc292600001a5f --binary-syntax --close-stderr
>  1452  ??  Is     0:00.00 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 6 --print-address 8 --session

The first one is launched at system startup, the other two when I login.
So I cannot explain why emacs would complains about it...

> If you're running Emacs on server and don't want DBus to be started, then
> exclude DBUS using "make config" and reinstall the port.

So, on the two remote servers, I "config"ured emacs to work without DBUS
and recompiled, but nothing changed: still emacs starts dbus and still
Konsole does not close automatically unless I kill it.
Then I removed *gconf* support too and now the problem seems to be gone.

  bye & Thanks
	av.