Proposal moving *spell dicts to ports/textproc/*spell/dicts

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Sat Dec 4 18:30:22 UTC 2010

Quoth David Southwell on Saturday, 04 December 2010:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As I said some weeks ago I personally don't like much the use of
> > ports/{french,chinese,whatever}/ directories. I saw that openbsd
> > created sub directories in the aspell port. I think this is a really
> > good idea, it's really easier to find.
> >
> > I don't think german/ispell french/aspell textproc/gu-aspell are
> > really easy to find.
> >
> > I propose creating a ports/textproc/aspell/dicts and same for
> > textproc/ispell and textproc/hunspell and moving every spellings ports
> > to these directories.
> On the surface the idea sounds sensible. Maybe there are some issues relating
> to consistency across the whole ports tree in the way languages are handled.
>
> I see no solution being intrinsically better than any other but would tend to
> favour a consistent approach for all language. We already have one built in
> inconsistencyt -- i.e. english is handled different;ly than any other.
>
> IMHO one inconsistency is enough!!

This is part of a much larger problem that isn't unique to FreeBSD ports:  the
desirable abstractions do not fit into a single hierarchical pattern as
represented by directories.  I humbly suggest that the directory
structure should be kept as simple as possible, hopefully only reflecting
one abstraction vector (instead of several as at present: human language, programming
language, framework, application domain, etc.).  Then we probably need to
develop more useful tools for managing the other abstraction vectors.
'make search', 'pkgsearch', etc. help, but perhaps some form of tagging
might be more to the point, with guidelines for porters about what kinds
of tags are expected.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips.com