updated dialog(1) replacement for ports

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Thu Dec 2 20:42:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Chip Camden
<sterling at camdensoftware.com> wrote:
> Quoth Eitan Adler on Thursday, 02 December 2010:
>> Thank you for your comments
>>
>> > Every keystroke causes the screen to completely repaint.
>> This can't be fully helped. Any valid key stroke is going to cause
>> this. However I did make invalid keystrokes skip the repainting.
>
> Ugh -- I haven't looked at the code yet, but even back in the curses days
> (pre-ncurses) this problem had already been solved.

The window layout looks like
|              Title       |
|  primary  |  help  |
|            license     |
|            exit          |

And on every valid keystroke primary and help need to be refreshed.
ncurses is optimized to handle this correctly.
However the wborder command on "primary" and "help" for some reason
touches "title" and "license" as well - so the doupdate() ncurses
functions refreshes them as well.

If you could find a way to solve the problem please let know - a patch
would be better :-)

>Heh -- sorry, I always begin my tests in "stupid user" mode.  Thanks for
> the patch!

No problem - segfaults should be fixed :-)

Again - thanks for your comments: I'd like to get this program into
tip-top shape so when I get the bsd.port.mk patch I'll just submit a
PR and wait for the flames :-)
--
Eitan Adler