Proposal for new UPDATING format

Andres Perera andres.perera at zoho.com
Sat Aug 21 22:03:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM, David DEMELIER
<demelier.david at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not a bad idea, the problem is that the file UPDATING does not speak
> always for a package, sometime it's just some information that are not
> specific to a package.

Well, that could be addressed by having a stricter way of populating
AFFECTS. Either category/port-version or category/ to express that it
affects more than one. Global concerns can be aptly named "all" and be
filtered by the tool by date.

Until a more machine parsable format is established throughout the
fields, I think it'd be good to formalize VERSION since the entries
usually end up mentioning the version anyway -- just not in a fashion
that tools can easily extract.

Andres