Installing Ruby suggestion

Stanislav Sedov stas at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 20 23:34:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:55:33 -0400
Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> mentioned:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Paul Hoffman <phoffman at proper.com> wrote:
> > Greetings again. When doing a "make install", it takes *forever* in the "Generating RDoc documentation" step. This isn't a big deal the first time, but when updating Ruby (such as for the recent security announcement), you need to do a "make deinstall" before you do a "make reinstall". Having that second step take a long time means that there is a longer time that there is no Ruby on the system.
> >
> > Could the RDoc step be done during "make" instead of "make install"?
> >

> Generally its best to CC the maintainer as well. In this case the
> maintainer is stas at freebsd.org
>
> That being said: I second this request ;)

Ruby install systems works this way.  I'm not sure I can do anything about this.
You may try asking on the ruby mailing list although.

If you concerned about rdoc, you can disable them via OPTIONS.  The time when there're
no ruby in the system is probably critical for production environments, where
rdoc is not required.  Another option is to use packages, although I understand it
usually takes a bit of time for official packages to appear (but that's a different
story); but you can build the updated package on a separate machine and then distribute
it over critical servers.

Nonetheless, I'll try to look on what I can do.  But I can't promise anything, because
this is really something that should be done on ruby side.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE