i keep *trying* to move from portupgrade to portmaster

Olivier Smedts olivier at gid0.org
Mon Aug 16 22:35:52 UTC 2010

2010/8/6 Sandra Kachelmann <s.kachelmann at googlemail.com>:
> I've been using ports-mgmt/portupgrade pretty much ever since it
> started to exist. Unfortunately portupgrade seems to be pretty much
> "abandonware" so I've been told to move on to portmaster. Despite the
> very long manpage I can't seem to be able to achieve the following
> thing with portmaster:
>
> $ portupgrade --batch -a
>
> If I issue this command I know exactly that I can go out, have a
> drink, cook some dinner and unlock my workstation the next day and
> find that everything completed unless a port failed to build. With
> portmaster I get asked a s*t load of interactive questions, whether I
> want to delete some package, whether it's really okay to pull in all
> the dependencies and so on.
>
> Can someone spoonfeed me the command I need to issue with portmaster
> in order to achieve the same thing as with
>
> $ portupgrade --batch -a

I'm quite late, and won't speak for "batch", but here is what I use
with portmaster. I switched recently from portupgrade to portmaster
and I'm happy with the following command. I was used to "portupgrade
-a" and was disappointed with "portmaster -a" the first days.
# portmaster -adw -x openoffice

-a is just like in portupgrade,
-d cleans old distfiles without confirmation,
-w copies old libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/ like portupgrade
does, I find this very useful to not break the system. That's less
likely to happen with the recent approach of bumping revisions of all
dependant ports, but it's safer and I often clean this directory.
-x to exclude some ports you don't want to upgrade

This is very convenient because, unlike with "portupgrade -a", all the
config dialogs appear at the beginning (so I don't have to use a batch
mode, and never see my upgrade paused on a blue screen after having
left the computer for the night), and portmaster prompts you with a
list of the actions that will be taken before doing anything. I now
know what will be installed in addition of my already present ports.
There's also a very practical feature to delete build-deps, but I
don't use it because I already have a script which deletes everything
but what I explicitely want to keep.

Thanks Doug !

Cheers