i keep *trying* to move from portupgrade to portmaster

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 15:51:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Mike Jakubik
<mike.jakubik at intertainservices.com> wrote:
> On 8/12/2010 5:32 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Mike Jakubik wrote:
>>
>>> I tried portmaster for myself and im wondering how to get the
>>> functionality of "portupgrade lib\*", meaning update all libraries
>>> that need updating. With "portmaster lib\*" it tries to update and
>>> rebuild all libraries, how can i tell portmaster to only update what
>>> needs updating? I can't find such an option in the man page, there is
>>> an option to always rebuild but no option to never rebuild. There is
>>> also -i, but it's a pain in the ass to manually select y/n for all
>>> libraries. Am i not seeing something in the man page?
>>
>> No, you're not missing anything. The default behavior for portmaster is
>> to upgrade everything you specify on the command line.
>>
>> Something like this would probably work:
>> portmaster `pkg_version -Ivl\< | grep ^lib | cut -f1 -d\<`
>
> Thanks for the info. Do you think this may be a usefull feature for other
> users coming from portupgrade though? If there is an option to always
> rebuild, one would think there would be an opposite option too.

I can't speak for Doug as to what gets added to portmaster.

However, as a user of portmaster, I would like to say that just
because portupgrade (or portmanager, or port-tool-of-the-month) has a
specific feature, doesn't mean it absolutely needs to be added to
portmaster.

Personally, I can say that in my many years of using port management
tools (on firewalls, routers, servers, and desktops), I have never had
a need for a feature like this.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com