ports/149147: emulators/wine can't launch fullscreen DirectX applications

Tijl Coosemans tijl at coosemans.org
Mon Aug 9 13:50:07 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR ports/149147; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tijl Coosemans <tijl at coosemans.org>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org, alp at rsu.ru
Subject: Re: ports/149147: emulators/wine can't launch fullscreen DirectX applications
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:12:50 +0200

 --nextPart4404647.yMsEIay6aA

 Hi Alexander,

 I've added some suggestions below to change your xorg.conf. They might
 improve things a bit, but generally you shouldn't expect too much from
 the open source dri drivers. For playing games it's generally
 recommended to use Nvidia hardware with the Nvidia binary driver.

 > Section "ServerLayout"
 >         Identifier     "X.org Configured"
 >         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
 >         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
 >         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
 >         Option          "AllowEmptyInput" "True"

 This is unrelated but AllowEmptyInput sometimes causes problems with
 keyboard and mouse. You should replace it with:

   Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"

 You should also add the following option to enable accelerated indirect
 rendering. It might be enabled by default these days, but it doesn't
 hurt to add it:

   Option "AIGLX" "on"

 > EndSection
 >=20
 > Section "Module"
 >         Load  "glx"
 >         Load  "GLcore"

 You can remove GLcore. It doesn't exist anymore.

 >         Load  "dbe"
 >         Load  "dri2"
 >         Load  "dri"
 >         Load  "record"
 >         Load  "extmod"
 > EndSection
 >=20
 > Section "Screen"
 >         Identifier "Screen0"
 >         Device     "Card0"
 >         Monitor    "Monitor0"

 Add this line here:

   DefaultDepth    24

 >         SubSection "Display"
 >                 Viewport   0 0
 >                 Depth     24
 >         EndSubSection
 > EndSection

 Your user needs access to /dev/dri/card0. You can change the group and
 permissions of that device by adding this section to xorg.conf:

 Section "DRI"
         Group "somegroup"
         Mode  0660
 EndSection

 If you are a member of the wheel group all that's needed is:

 Section "DRI"
         Mode  0660
 EndSection