portmaster and environ from pkg_install tools

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 8 04:49:04 UTC 2010

On 08/07/2010 21:18, Andres Perera wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> On that note, I suggest that portmaster should fallback on PKG_PATH,
>>> which is explained in pkg_add(1), if LOCAL_PACKAGEDIR isn't defined.
>>
>> It uses PACKAGES if LOCAL_PACKAGEDIR is not defined, which is a
>> throwback to the days before package installation support because it
>> uses that location for other things too.
>>

> The problem is that PM_PACKAGES_LOCAL requires LOCAL_PACKAGEDIR regardless.

Right, that was by design. My theory at the time was that installing
from a local package repository was going to be sufficiently unusual
that needing to take the extra step of either using --local-packagedir
on the command line, or configuring it in an rc file seemed reasonable.

> That inconsistency aside, PACKAGES definately makes more sense now.

Now I think I understand your question better. Yours is the first
question about this, but I've made a note about the issue in case it
comes up again.

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso