Trying to use the USERS and SHAREOWN functionalities

Jason jhelfman at e-e.com
Fri Aug 6 22:07:37 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:28:50PM -0400, Jim Trigg thus spake:
>Are there any examples of how to use the USERS functionality together
>with the SHAREOWN functionality in a port makefile?  I'm working on
>updating the ecartis port to use standard functionality for its user
>ID, but can't seem to tell how to make sure that the USERS are created
>before files are installed, and that installed files are then owned by
>the user that is created.

Not sure of examples but if you use
USERS= me
GROUPS= ${USERS}

When you install, it will first check/install the users.

If you note:
SHAREOWN=me
SHAREGRP=${SHAREOWN}

It will then install the files with this ownership if you are using the install
macro that use these variables (ie. COPYTREE_SHARE)

Take a look at bsd.port.mk. It's all in there.

Hope this helps!

>Thanks,
>Jim