i keep *trying* to move from portupgrade to portmaster

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 22:03:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I need to add an option for this, but it will likely be an "expert"
> option that you can set in the rc file. The theory is that package
> creation failure should be a rare thing, and since portmaster has no way
> to know what packages are really critical to any given system it treats
> inability to safely recover from an upgrade failure as a critical error.
> However, having the ability to disable this is an oft-requested feature,
> I just haven't gotten to it yet.
>
> I actually took a look at the code in this area last night with an eye
> towards creating this option, I'll see if I can get it done for the next
> release.

While your in the mood for for taking portmaster suggestions, I think an
option to backup all currently installed packages would be useful.  I have a
python script that does this for me, but it would be easy enough to use sh
as well.  I do this because there have been too many times something has
broken during a port upgrade run and I need to revert immediately and fix
later.  I realize the backup package feature sort of does the same thing,
but reconciling the pre- and post- updates is a tough thing for me.  Having
a user defined directory all currently installed ports can be put in is much
easier to work with IMO. I know of other people doing similar things because
I shared my script on questions- and got a few responses awhile ago.

--
Adam Vande More